Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thankful Thanksgiving

Nov. 21: Had a great day and the opportunity to go with Dar & Brad to see Paul’s team win the state football tournament. It was so fun! We rode Trax up to the Rice-Eccles Stadium and back. It was so-o-o crowded and took forever, but it was still fun. The weather was cold, but we were bundled up and so kept reasonably warm. The game caused some fretting in the beginning because it seemed like Alta just couldn’t get their act together, but in the last quarter they came alive and ended up playing like their old selves, winning the game in the last 33 seconds. Everyone was on their feet cheering at the top of their lungs. We couldn’t help but feel a little bad for Bingham because they played their hearts out too, but were so happy that Paul was again on a state championship team. It was 11:30 before I got home. Stan and Harold were both still waiting up for me – with a surprise. Stan said my “two boyfriends” had gone out shopping while I was away. I couldn’t figure out what they had bought and looked all over. Finally Harold said, “feel this!” and rubbed the bed. Then I knew. They had bought me a heated mattress pad. It was totally unexpected, but I couldn’t wait to get ready and crawl into bed. It was heaven!! Thank you!!!
Sunday, November 23, 2008: Another eventful (or uneventful) week. We have enjoyed having Stan here and have been able to do a few things like going out for breakfast and grocery shopping. Today I sang in a quartet in church and Stan came to hear me. We sang “Thanksgiving Medley,” and everyone said it sounded really good. I think Stan was proud of his little sister. I’m so thankful that I can still sing! I brought Stan home after church and we ate a little together; then I returned to Relief Society.

I Just have to send out a little Thanksgiving greeting to all our family, and tell everyone how very thankful I am for each one. What a blessing our family is to me. May we always appreciate and love and lift each other. Each one has strengths and weaknesses – that’s what makes us a family - we just love each other anyway! And remember the story of the 5 kernals of corn:

In early New England, it was customary to place 5 kernals of corn beside each plate during the Thanksgiving meal. This was a reminder of earlier and rougher times for the New England Pilgrims; times in which food was so scarce that 5 kernals of corn was the ration given each person from the common food stores. Each kernal carried a reminder:

1. Our total dependence upon God

2. Every blessing we receive carries with it an equal responsibility

3. We are not blessed just for our own comfort, but so we can be of service to others

4. Many of the greatest blessings come as a result of moments of deepest despair

5. The greatest of all our gifts is our Lord Jesus Christ. God reveals himself to us through Jesus Christ

1 comment:

jayna said...

We missed seeing our UT fam, but this coming weekend will be fun.

Happy Thanksgiving!